Sunday, June 14, 2015

That Time I Went To ... Chicago

Last year I went to Chicago with Nunya.  He had to work at a conference and I had to explore Chicago.  Seems fair.

I did a little bit of work while in Chicago meeting with clients and industry friends.  Then the rest of the weekend was on my own exploring the awesome city.  I, of course, only go to Chicago when the weather is amazing.  Which, of course, makes me want to live there.  Until, of course, I see the winter weather they get.

Oh well.

On Saturday, I strolled through neighborhoods and visited farmer markets.  Which made me really sad because I couldn't buy everything to bring back to Texas.  Then I went to the large farmers' market in Lincoln Park. If you can attend this market do it!  So many great things to see, explore, and taste.  After my loop through the market, I sat on a park bench eating lunch in the midst of all the locals enjoying the beautiful weather.

I asked a local lady sitting next to me if she knew where the restrooms were and she said "Well, the market has port o' potties but I don't recommend them.  If you walk up one block you will find public restrooms that are really clean.  They are in the barn."

And that's when I worried that she was drunk.  And/or high.  I said thank you and then walked toward the "barn".  Sure enough, there was a barn.  In the middle of Chicago.  With cows, pigs, horses ... a whole working farm.  And the bathrooms were very clean.

Sometimes talking to strangers pays off.

Turns out the barn was part of the Chicago Zoo.  Which is free.  Which made me want to move to Chicago really bad.  I explored several zoo exhibits and the people watching.

As I left the zoo I followed a path to get to a particular spot that one of my company's clients mentioned to me the day before.  He said you can see the Chicago skyline pretty well from one particular spot.  And he was right.
I also got to spend time with Nunya during his work trip.  One of the events I went to was in the John Hancock Center's Signature Room.  On the 95th floor.  A fun event, good food and drink, nice people, and amazing views.

Navy Pier is on the left.
After a weekend like that who wouldn't want to move to Chicago?!

No comments: