Monday, September 29, 2014

I Can't Do Somber

As I wrote earlier here, I spent this past weekend remembering my Aunt Brenda.  The service was wonderful and right on the mark with everything she would have enjoyed.  My cousins did an amazing job of allowing family and friends to celebrate their mom.

I have a very close knit family.  When I think of my childhood, 90% of my memories include my extended family.  Even though we live in different cities and states we always pick up right where we left off at our last visit.  It is a very natural feeling being around so many people that I love and cherish.  For the longest time I thought everyone's family was this way.  However, I have come to find out that many of my friends don't know their cousins or interact with aunts and uncles the way I fortunately do.

At Aunt Brenda's funeral service on Saturday I sat next to her daughter, Teche.  Teche was my older sister when I was growing up.  She usually teamed up with my oldest brother to leave me behind when they wanted to go play without me.  But she also had some really cool toys that Aunt Brenda let me play with without Teche knowing so I feel like we are even.

I can't remember what Teche and I were talking about sitting in the pew waiting for the services to start but it had us in stitches laughing.  And we were trying to be quiet with our laughing because it was a funeral.  But then we started laughing harder because we were trying to keep it in.  And then it happened.

I snorted.  Loudly.
Which then made us REALLY lose it.  I was mortified.  Teche couldn't stop pointing and laughing.  It was a horrible circle of laughing really hard and trying to be quiet about it.

When the services were about to get started an announcement was made to please turn all cell phones on silent.  I thought they were also going to say "Teche and Julie ... please separate."

No comments: