Thursday, September 5, 2013

Quick Dish: Butternut Squash and Pear Salad

Recently, I received my green box of earthy goodness from Greenling.  The box contained a butternut squash and some pears (among several other delicious goodies).  I'm a sucker for butternut squash.  I absolutely love butternut squash soup but in case you haven't heard ... Texas is BOILING HOT!

I'm not about to eat soup in this heat.  My foot has been put down on the subject of soup.

So I was left with the dilemma of what to do with my beloved squash.  Then it hit me ... I'll add it to a salad!

Ingredients:
1 cup of roasted butternut squash, cut into bite size pieces
1 small pear, cut into bite size pieces
2 tablespoons of blue cheese crumbles
2 cups of lettuce (I used butter lettuce)
2 tablespoons of salad toppings of your choice (I used an Asian mix of almonds and sesames)
1 tablespoon of balsamic dressing

I roasted my butternut squash by cleaning and cutting it into to similar size pieces, tossed it with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a dash of sea salt.  Pop it in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes and then let it cool.  I stored it in an airtight container in the fridge.
I always use foil on my pans for easy cleaning afterward.
For the salad, you can toss everything together or layer it on the dish.  The savory of the squash paired nicely with the sweetness of the pear.  The pear gave the salad some good crunch.  None of the flavors were overpowering which really let you enjoy the taste of the blue cheese.  

No comments: