Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Dolla' Dolla' Bills, Y'all!

I don't want to brag but ... WAIT!  YES, I DO!  Again, my blog = my rules.

I just made another batch of homemade laundry detergent.  The last batch I made was back on January 21, 2013.  That's over 7 months!  I didn't have to buy any ingredients to make this current batch.  I bought Ivory soap back in January because I wanted to try the very cool Pinterest science experiment of microwaving Ivory soap.  I had saved the soap cloud and used it in my detergent (saved me from grating another bar).

It took me all of 15 minutes to make the detergent (bringing a gallon of water to a boil can take some time) and I got other house chores done while I was cooking up laundry detergent goodness on the stove.  I'm not sure I could have gone to the store (half mile from my house) and back in the same amount of time with store bought detergent.  Plus, I had the pleasure of listening to Led Zeppelin while the detergent was being made.

I honestly don't know how much store bought detergent costs so I had to google it ... I'm guessing around $9.  I'm also guessing that one container of store bought detergent may last me for three months (again, I have no clue).  Based on these guesses, my homemade laundry detergent saves me $21.  Since I started making my own detergent since 2011 I have spent $15 on detergent ingredients.  During that same time I would have spent around $72 on store bought detergent.  That's $57 in savings and I still have enough ingredients for another batch of homemade detergent.

It may not seem like tons of money but I'd rather keep my hard earned moolah and know that my clothes are just as clean (if not cleaner).  My laundry detergent costs me $0.63 every month compared to the $3 store bought option.

If you aren't sold on the idea of creating your own laundry detergent I'll be happy to sell you a gallon of mine.  At $8 per gallon you'll be getting a great bargain!

No comments: