Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Quick Dish: Carrot Green Pesto

If you make this pesto you'll want to jump back and kiss yourself.  Seriously.  It is ah-maze-zing!
All the ingredients a girl could ask for.
I received my bi-weekly container of local produce from Greenling (on Twitter @GreenlingDFW) on Friday.  My box included carrots and Meyer lemons.  When life gives you Meyer lemons you dance like no one is watching because they are pure delight.  Then you make carrot green pesto.

Ingredients
  • Carrot greens (I ended up with probably 4 cups of carrot greens)
  • Juice from 1 Meyer lemon
  • 4 cloves of garlic (boil the garlic for a minute to cut the strong flavor but maintain their sweetness)
  • 1/2 cup of roasted pine nuts
  • 3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese
  • olive oil (quantity varies)
  • 8 leaves of fresh basil
  • salt and pepper to taste
Prep all of your ingredients ... juice the lemon, cut the cheese (HA!  Fart joke!), and boil the garlic.  You can boil the garlic in its paper as the paper will remove easier once it is done.
Place the carrot greens in a food processor along with the lemon juice and garlic.  Pulse a few times.  Scrape down side of the food processor through the process (not as the processor is running, dummy).  Add the cheese and pine nuts.  Pulse some more.  Once all of your ingredients are finely chopped turn on your processor and drizzle in olive oil.  I probably used 1/2 cup in my recipe but you can adjust it to your liking.  I added a few leaves of fresh basil from a live basil plant that came in my Greenling box.  It could have been planted but I already have two containers filled with basil so I chose to add them to my pesto.  Add salt and pepper as needed.
Carrot greens are mild but quite delicious.  And very nutritious.
The whole process takes a few minutes.  You are left with an amazing pesto to utilize through out the week.
Full of Vitamin K!
I used it on some wild caught salmon I baked in paper pouches.  The lemon in the pesto was the perfect amount for the salmon.  Very simple dish but the taste is incredible.
Would pair nicely with cooked carrots and a simple salad.

1 comment:

Beth said...

This looks delish. Can't wait to try it!