Sunday, March 10, 2013

Nerd Poster Child

I went to a health clinic last weekend thinking I had the flu.  I was suffering from aches, exhaustion, congestion and fever.  When I did an Internet search of my symptoms it came up with "flu".  Figured I could go to the doctor, she'd give me some meds and I'd be back to normal sooner rather than later.  Instead, the doc said I had a sinus infection with a possible case of strep throat.

Whatever.  She might have "M.D." behind her name but I can search on mayoclinic.com and diagnosis anything.  Therefore, I overrode her prognosis and declared I had the plague.  Seems logical.

My plague had me in a pickle.  I needed to be productive at work but the mindless fog in my head limited my thinking capabilities.  Plus, I was just plain exhausted.  I ended up finding reprieve on my couch, in front of the TV and watching Netflix.  I could easily stare at my TV screen while blowing my brains out through my nose into mounds of tissues.  (Pretty picture, I know.)

Then, something else happened.  I started watching Battlestar Galactica (BSG for those who aren't geeks).  I became the poster child for adult nerds everywhere.  I sat on my couch, wearing my glasses with a runny nose, and watched BSG non-stop.
Pretty much what I looked like sitting on my couch. Source
I have survived the plague but I have not survived the attack of the boob tube.  And I'm still quite addicted to BSG.  My life will never be normal again.

No comments: