Friday, February 1, 2013

Exploration No. 1: Yoga

There will be crying.  There will be fighting.  There will be tantrums.  And there most definitely there will be name calling.  I'm setting out an exploration.  An exploration of my limits.  I'm leaving the "comfort zone" and entering the "danger zone".  (Cue Kenny Loggins' "Danger Zone" background music.)

Before I go any further you must understand I'm not doing this for your amusement.  I'm doing it for my wellbeing   Which will, in fact, be amusing.  I have a list of monthly challenges I'll be going through during 2013.  And not every month will have a challenge.  This is my science fair project ... if you don't like how I run it then create your own.

For the month of February I'll be challenging myself to ... (drum roll) ... yoga.  I despise yoga.  But the reasons why I don't like it are the reasons why I'm challenging myself to bend it like Beckham.  (Now, that's a yoga DVD I'd watch!)  The breathing techniques, the quietness, the self focus ... I don't excel at these things.  Also, my posture is bad.  

Honey, I'm from Texas.  I grew up on dirt roads and made mud pies.  (Which I cried about when my dad pretended to eat it and didn't actually eat it.  I spent 10 minutes making it!)  When I got a scratch I rubbed dirt in it and kept playing.  This whole yoga thing is foreign to me.  There is no Van Halen soundtrack to yoga poses, no trophies for doing a crane pose, no gargantuan belt claiming yoga superiority.  
Source
So, for February 2013 my goal is to do 4 session of yoga per week.  That's 16 sessions of focusing on me.  This month also includes a half-week long conference and business travel.  Yoga is one of those workouts that you can do anywhere and I'm really bad about not working out when life gets busy.  At the end of the month I don't know what to expect but I'll be sure to post about it.

2 comments:

YogiwithaDayJob said...

As an RYT, I am SUPER excited about this for you.

I can't wait to hear about your experiences.

Julie said...

Thanks! I'm nervous but it feels like I'm about to go on a crazy roller coaster ride. Super fun (and maybe a little vomiting) up ahead!