Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Quick Dish: Mock Street Tacos

Have I mentioned I'm on a budget?  Pretty sure I have but just case you forgot ... I'm on a budget.  In order for me to stick to the budget I have to cook at home and take my lunch to work.  I like cooking so it ain't that big of a deal.  However, I don't want to do sandwiches every day and I like to have variety in my meals.

So I created mock street tacos.  I don't know how to put this politely but they are FREAKIN' AWESOME!
Ingredients:
Chicken mixture
4 chicken breasts, frozen
24 ounces of salsa (I used Mild Pace Chunky Salsa)
1 cup of sodium free chicken stock
Coleslaw mixture
4 cups of angel hair coleslaw
1 cup of Greek yogurt
1 lime, juiced
1/4 cup of sweetener (I used Splenda)

Corn tortillas
Avocado (optional)
Sriracha sauce (optional)

For the chicken, place the frozen chicken breasts, salsa and chicken stock in a crock pot.  Set on low and let cook for six hours.  Once the chicken is done, take it out of the crock pot and shred it with a fork.  Place the shredded chicken back in the crock pot and continue cooking on low for another hour.

For the coleslaw, mix the Greek yogurt, lime juice and sweetener in a bowl.  Once incorporated add the coleslaw and mix.

To serve, place the chicken mixture on the corn tortilla followed by some of the coleslaw mixture.  I topped mine off with avocado and Sriracha.  It was amazingly fantastic, light and filling!  The coleslaw has a slight tang to it but the sweetness mixed with the spice of the chicken and Sriracha made my taste buds happy.

No comments: