Sunday, January 20, 2013

Quick Dish: Mizuna Stir Fry

What the heck is mizuna?  I received a bunch of mizuna in my latest box from Greenling (@GreenlingDFW). I love getting things I have no idea how to cook because it requires me to expand my horizons and be adventurous.  So began my quest to figure out what mizuna is and how to cook it.
Beginnings of a great, healthy dish!
Wikipedia has a good reference for it here.  The description for it states "a piquant, mild peppery flavor ... slightly spicy, but less so than arugula."  Whoa.  I don't like arugula.  And, honestly, I had to look up the word "piquant".  Damn you, Wikipedia, for making me learn stuff!

However, I drudged on in my research of mizuna and decided to take the plunge into cooking it.  Folks, this stuff is pretty tasty!  It originates from Japan and is considered a winter green.  It is a mix between arugula and mustard greens but not prominent in either taste.  It is quite mild and holds its color well when cooked.  If you get the chance to try some mizuna, DO IT!
Mizuna is a bright, leafy green.
Ingredients
1 tablespoon of Chinese Five Spice
1 teaspoon of ginger powder
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 cup of low sodium chicken stock
salt, to taste
1 small cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
1/4 cup of low sodium soy sauce
1/2 onion, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
1 cup of mushrooms
3 cups of mizuna
2 cups of uncooked shrimp, diced
sesame seeds, sprinkled (optional)
Sriracha sauce, to taste (optional)
Mmmmm ... tasty!
Heat the first three ingredients in a dry pan.  Once the aromatics are released add the chicken stock and salt.  Incorporate the spices with the liquid.  Over medium-high heat, add the cabbage and cover for 5 minutes.  Remove cover, turn the cabbage, add the next four ingredients and recover.  Once the carrots are cooked add the mizuna and shrimp, reduce the heat to low-medium and cover.  Once the shrimp is cooked (about 10 minutes) serve.  I added sesame seeds and Sriracha to my serving.

No comments: