Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Office of the Traveling Desk

One of my passions in life is traveling.  I love to explore new places, crazy adventures, and beautiful cultures.  I don't work for the weekends ... I work for the trips.

I have a home office that has yet to be decorated or organized.  If you were to see my home office you would think "she has a desk in a bedroom".  For the record, I don't like your judgmental tone.  But I am making progress on the room.  Over the Christmas break I created a piece of furniture that ties in my love of travel and offers room for organization.

My home office has (will have) a travel theme.  I like to buy artwork on my international travels and I plan to have all of them hung with care in my office.  Having a travel theme in my home office reminds me why I love my job (I have a boss who encourages my travel and a flexible career that offers me time away) and why I want to work harder at being the best for my company.  Plus, each item from my trips remind me of fond memories with friends and relaxing days enjoying new surroundings.

The furniture piece is made from repurposed material.  Some of the material I had on hand and others I bought at Home Depot.  The entire project cost me $55.  In addition to the materials listed below I used Mod Podge to attach the maps to the filing cabinet.
It was super easy to make and kind of fun to do.  My home office is finally starting to take form!

4 comments:

Cathy_H said...

I love the idea of making your workspace inspirational. AND it turned out so cool!!!

I totally have to pin this.

Julie said...

Pin away! I have realized I need the "carrot on a stick" to help keep me motivated when days get hectic. Plus, when I need a little mental break I can imagine I'm back in Granada or Malaga or Paris or London ...

Shannah said...

I can't believe you didn't HOW TO the modge podge part of the project! More details for me to pin this idea, please. How did you deal with the drawers? Etc? Help a girl out...

Julie said...

Shannah, the "how to" for the mod podge was slather a thick layer where I was going to put a map, lay the map on it and slather it with another thick layer of mod podge. Repeat until the entire cabinet is covered with maps. As for the drawers, I had disassembled the cabinet and followed the mod podge routine over the drawers. Once everything was dry I cut out area for the draw handles. I did a final layer of the mod podge over the entire cabinet and let it dry (it has a glossy finish). Then I inserted the drawers back in and called it finished!