Monday, January 21, 2013

Follow Up: Homemade Laundry Detergent

Back in 2011 I wrote about a recipe I found for homemade laundry detergent here.  I figured I should do a follow up post about how the homemade stuff compares to the store bought detergent.

There is no difference between the quality of clothes being clean.  They smell clean and no stains.  If the comparison was left at that I'd say buy the detergent in the store because you don't have to make it.  However, I can't just leave the comparison at how clean the clothes get.
I bought my gallon containers at Dollar General. They have a spout and handle. Great for pouring.
I have a front load washer and dryer.  Prior to using homemade detergent my bath towels always ended up with a mildew smell after being washed and dried.  Kind of embarrassing when guests used them.  "No, trust me, they are clean!" is not something a proper hostess wants to tell her guests.  After using the homemade detergent, the mildew smell is gone.  Plus, my washer stays cleaner for longer.  I cleaned it last week following the user's manual and it was in pretty good shape.

Last week I bought three bars of Ivory soap for $1.50 at the dollar store to make another batch of detergent this weekend.  That is the only extra supplies I've had to buy since starting the homemade detergent journey. In total, I've spent $15 on laundry detergent since August 2011.

I made a batch of detergent in July and just made a new one this past weekend.  That is six months of laundry detergent!  Granted, I don't do as many loads of laundry as a family of four (I'm averaging two loads a week) but that is still impressive.  I use about a half cup of detergent for each load of laundry.  Each batch I make creates two gallons of detergent.  It really does last awhile.  And it only takes me 20 minutes to make. I usually do multitask while it is heating on the stove so I do feel like I'm saving time by making my own laundry detergent.

I think I have enough ingredients for two more batches of detergent.  If this latest batch last another 6 months I won't have to buy more Borax or washing soda until 2014.  In my opinion, the homemade detergent is the way to go!

No comments: