Saturday, November 10, 2012

When in Rome

Texas now has our own version of the German autobahn.  Well, almost.  It is called the 130 Toll Road near Austin.  The speed limit is 85 mph.  

Since I was driving back from San Antonio yesterday and needed to get back to Dallas before 5pm I decided to take the 130 Toll Road (it was free yesterday but the tolls kicked in today).  I was warned from others to be wary of the feral hogs that roam 130.  In case you are wondering, if you hit a hog going 85 mph it doesn't bode well for the animal or for your vehicle.  

Some people see a speed limit sign and then add 10 mph.  However, the Texas State Troopers keep a watchful eye on 130 because if you drive over 85 they will give you a ticket.  Fair enough.  

So, when in Rome you do as the Romans do.  Driving 130 across a flat landscape at 85 mph is BOOOORING.  I saw no feral hogs but I did see the Formula 1 race track off in the distance getting prepared for the upcoming race.  130 did let me bypass the City of Austin and the congestion that is in the city.  I'm glad I was able to get to Dallas on time and I'm thankful for the Stephen King audio book that kept me awake on the drive.  

Legally driving 85 mph ain't what it is all cracked up to be.  Throw in the danger of feral hogs and then it just gets weird.
Toll Road 130
Artist's rendition of feral pig.

No comments: