Saturday, November 24, 2012

Quick Dish: Carrot Green Pesto

In my latest delivery from Greenling I had a bunch of carrots with their green tops still attached.  Included in the delivery were recipes that incorporated the box's contents.  One of them was a pesto made from carrot greens.

I didn't know you could eat carrot greens.  If you did know this then kudos to you!  You are apparently smarter than me (not a big accomplishment).

The pesto recipe is pretty traditional but substitute the carrot greens for the basil.  The recipe is as follows:

2 cups of carrot greens
3 cloves of garlic
2/3 cups of walnuts, chopped and toasted
2/3 cups of olive oil
1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Throw everything into a blender or food processor.  If the pesto is too thick add more olive oil.  The carrot greens are packed with vitamins C and K, potassium, and calcium.  Not too shabby.

I have used the pesto in wraps, on steaks, on shrimp, and in pasta.  It is quite delicious.
I put some in the bottom of a pasta dish.  About 2 tablespoons.
I added pasta to the bowl.  This is portabella mushroom linguine  I get it from my local farmers market.  Yes, it is a brown color.
I tossed the pasta and pesto with some chicken sausage.  Delicious!

No comments: