Thursday, October 4, 2012

Quick Dish: Salad Niçoise

I love France.  I love French food.  I love French people (except for that one guy but that's for another blog post).  So when I came across an episode of 'Julia and Jacques: Cooking at Home' and they did a rendition of the classic Salad Niçoise I knew I had to make it my own.

Here's the kicker, though ... I'm on a budget.  Therefore, I felt like I actually lived in France and had to make do with what I had.  C'est la vie!

Vinaigrette Dressing:
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon of champagne vinegar
2 tablespoons of stone ground mustard
dash of salt
1 teaspoon of honey

Mix all of the ingredients in a sealable container and shake it like a Polaroid picture.  Set aside.

Salad:
2 cups of fresh green beans, blanched
handful of yellow and red cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1/4 cup of red onion, sliced thin
1 can of tuna in oil
1/4 cup of olives, kalamata and green olives cut in half
1 hardboiled egg, quartered
handful of basil leaves

Place the salad ingredients on a plate and drizzle 2 tablespoons of the dressing over the salad.  Super simple salad, super fresh and incredibly delicious with a variety of flavors.  The lovely thing about this salad is that you can alter it however you want and it'll be amazing.

I did have the majority of the ingredients on hand except for the basil and green beans.  Totally fit within my meager grocery bill but my taste buds never knew the difference.

Bon appétit!