Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Quick Dish: Avocado Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms

I did not come up with this recipe but I'm so glad I made this dish.  Super simple.  Super quick.


I am a devote customer of Greenling which delivers produce to your doorstep.  I get the local box of produce because the fun thing about the local box is that I never know what I'm going to get but it will always be in season.  The box also includes recipes for the produce that have been delivered. 


Last night I made avocado stuffed portabella mushrooms.  They are A-MAZING!


2 portabella mushrooms
1 avocado
1/2 1015 onion
1 clove of garlic
2 ounces of ricotta cheese or goat cheese (I did ricotta)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of salt


Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.  While the oven is heating, mince the garlic and onions and sauté with the olive oil over medium heat.  Peel and pit the avocado and cut into small cubes.  Pull the stems off the portabella mushrooms and scrape the gills out with a spoon.  Combine the avocado, sautéed onions and garlic, cheese, lime juice and salt in a bowl.  Divide the mixture between the mushrooms caps.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Serve warm and enjoy.
I put my mushrooms in foil in case any juice leaked out.  Plus, I got a little too excited when scraping out the gills and ended up breaking a piece of the mushroom.  The foil held it all together while in the oven.  In my Greenling box I received the mushrooms, avocados and onions.  Everything else I had on hand. 
It is seriously a delicious meal; very filling but not heavy.  I love mushrooms and I love avocados.  Kind of a match made in heaven!

No comments: