Sunday, April 15, 2012

Unlearn Everything

Starting a new job requires me to sacrifice time for other things in order to get up to work speed.  One of the things I sacrificed ... writing my blog.  Sue me! 

I really do like my new work digs.  I am literally living in my own version of "Big Bang Theory".  I work with several scientists ... computer scientists.  And, yes, they do like to point out that they are, in fact, scientists.  My lovely, dorky, nerdy guys also create lovely, dorky, nerdy ideas during their lunch hour.  For instance, they have thought up the nerd iron man.  Instead of doing a rigorous swim/bike/run race they want to do a jet ski/scooter/segway race.  And all of the contestants have to dress up in costume ... Ghostbuster, Tron guy, superhero, etc.  *sigh*

My company is pretty fantastic, too.  They want their employees to be well-rounded because the belief is a happy employee is a productive employee.  Walking to and from the kitchen everyone smiles and says hello.  It is not a cult but people are genuinely happy to be at work. 

Which leads me to the hardest part of my job.  I have to unlearn all of the negative things at all of my previous employers.  That is not to say that I've worked at bad places but there was always something the company could be doing better but they didn't have the resources (or mindset) to do it.  At my current place of employment if something is not working right then management wants to discuss it and find a solution to make it better. 

WHAT?!

EARTH SHATTERING!

So, if the nerd iron man helps my company to become a leader in our industry then I want to be Wonder Woman.  And I want a pink Segway.

1 comment:

Gator said...

Congratulations on the new job Jules! I am so happy for you! 

Now then, I have some ideas on how to beat the Big Bang Boys in the nerd triathlon.

Firstly, tipping over your Segway, like the person depicted in your photo above, is not recommended. If you do, please make sure somebody is filming. 

Secondly,  please wear something skimpy. I think you're on the right track with Wonder Woman however, I would prefer a purple Segway myself. Seeing as this is your blog... Let's get back to the point: Skimpy outfits. If it looks like you aren't going to win, just flash 'em. You will undoubtedly stun them with your beauty, thus ensuring your victory.

And lastly, I would be more than happy to tag along for filming and or flashing purposes. That's just the kind of friend I am. You're welcome.