Monday, April 30, 2012

Another One Bites the Dust

I celebrated another year of life on Saturday.  And, in case you don’t know me, I REALLY like my birthdays.  I am ungodly annoying when it comes to the day of my birth.  I tend to remind people a month in advance of how many shopping days they have left.  I send out work calendar reminders to co-workers and friends.  I answer my phone, “It’s my birthday!”  (No matter who is calling.)  I go shopping on my birthday just so I can hear “Oh, today is your birthday? Well, happy birthday!  Here’s an extra *whatever I’m shopping for* just for you.”

Yeah, I’m an opportunistic birthday whore.  Don’t judge.

However, I am starting to realize why I love my birthdays so much.  I have lived a very fun life.  And sometimes “fun” means stupid.  Real stupid.  So my birthdays are a celebration of the blessings I’ve been given even though I don’t deserve them.  My birthdays represent all of the people in my life that have allowed me to be “fun” and yet still love me when I’m real stupid.  My birthday is a time for reflection of where I’ve been and lets me marvel at the endless opportunities of where I can go.

So, I’ll continue to be annoying for (hopefully) several years to come.  I’m positive I’m not done with fun.  And I’m pretty sure I’ve got more stupid left in me.

2 comments:

Shannah said...

Please, please, please tell me that was your actual birthday cake.

Julie said...

Sadly, no. However, I think it will now be a staple for future birthdays.