Friday, March 30, 2012

Quick Dish: Breakfast Bars

Pinterest ... the best thing since sliced bread.  I came across a recipe for breakfast bars on Pinterest but I modified it for my own tastes.  And also because I'm cheap.  I used whatever I already had my in kitchen.

Ingredients
  • 2 sweet potatoes (cooked in the oven until mushy)
  • 1.5 cups of rolled oats
  • 1 cup of natural apple sauce
  • 1/4 cup of flaxseed
  • 1/4 cup of sliced almonds
  • 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
Peel the sweet potatoes and mash all of the ingredients together.  Pour the mixture onto a cookie sheet and pop in a 350 degree oven.  You are not cooking anything but simply drying out the mixture.  Therefore, it may be necessary to lower the temperature on the oven depending on moisture content of the sweet potatoes.  Meaning ... the measurements above are simply guesses.  Everyone knows I don't measure stuff.
Once the mixture has dried out (about 30-40 minutes) cut it into serving sizes (2" x 2").  Store them in the fridge.

They are a quick and healthy snack.  I usually grab a few in the morning on my way out the door.  They definitely fill you up.

No comments: