Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Quick Dish: Turkey Stuffed Peppers

I had a hankerin' for some stuffed peppers this weekend and the local grocery store had a special on ground turkey.  Winning!

Ingredients:
  • 3 bell peppers
  • 1 pound of ground turkey
  • 1 quarter of a red onion
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes, drained
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 head of broccoli florets, diced
  • 1 cup of basmati rice, cooked
  • 1 cup of mushrooms, diced
  • 3/4 cup of feta cheese
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Cut the bell peppers to create a cap and bowl.  Clean out the bowl portion of seeds and core.  I put my bell peppers in a muffin pan to help them stay standing while cooking.  I pour water into the empty muffin tins to help cook the bell peppers.

Next mix the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl.  You will need a healthy portion of salt to season the dish properly.
Stuff the pepper bowls with the mixture to the rim of the pepper.  In order to make sure the cap stays on the pepper during cooking I inserted a toothpick into the cap through the stuffing.
Again, fill the empty muffin tins with enough water to fill them half way up.  You may need to fill them again through the cooking process.  I put the dish in a 375 degree oven for 50 minutes or until the turkey is 180 degrees.  I honestly don't know how long it cooked for since I was measuring the temperature (and I had other dishes going on at the same time) but I'm guessing around 50 minutes.

The end result ... YUM!  I also made a white sauce (butter, flour, spice mixture from Paris, chicken stock, and lemon juice) that I drizzled on top.  OH! MY! HEAVEN!
I also had quite a bit of the meat mixture leftover.  So I elected to make baked meatballs.  I make a very shockingly great marina sauce ("shockingly" because I'm not Italian but it is just that good) and will add it to the meatballs later this week.

I wanted to add some bread crumbs so the meatballs would hold together during the baking process but my pantry staple was missing.  So I used the next best thing, potato flakes. 
I added about a cup to the meat mixture.  The 2 inch balls formed nicely and held together really well.  I placed them on a wire rack on top of a foil lined cookie sheet.  So much easier to clean.
I baked them at 425 degrees for 25 minutes then decreased the temperature to 400 degrees and baked for another 30 minutes.  They turned out A-MAZ-ING with a crunchy exterior but moist interior.  When I put them in the marina sauce they will still hold their shape and not dry out.
A very productive Sunday in the kitchen!

1 comment:

emonterrosa said...

what's your marinara saucer recipe, non-italian girl?

I made meatballs the other day and the marinara was good but not amazing. I want amazing.

Thanks!