Monday, January 9, 2012

Quick Dish: Spring Rolls

One of my wonderful friends gave me a vegan cookbook.  I’m not vegan but she doesn’t cook much and asked if I was interested in the book.  Ummm … YES!

So I made some spring rolls inspired by the cookbook.  Like I said, I’m not vegan.  I could be but I had some sea scallops that needed to be cooked.  So, not a vegan dish but pretty darn tasty.

What you'll need:
Rice paper
1 mango, thinly sliced
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1 cup of cilantro
2 cups of soy bean sprouts
¼ cup of peanuts, chopped
4 sea scallops (cooked), sliced
First, heat 2 cups of water in a skillet.  Place one rice paper in the water to loosen it.  Once the rice paper is flexible (about 20 seconds) use chopsticks to move it to a piece of wax paper.  A fork will work, too, but I found the chopsticks did not stick to the rice paper like the fork did.  I needed to have a glass of water nearby so I could keep my fingers wet in order to smooth the rice paper.

Place the desired amount of ingredients at the bottom third of the rice paper.  I used 4 soy bean sprouts, 3 carrot strips, 2 mango strips, 4 leaves of cilantro, a pinch of peanuts, 3 slices of sea scallop, and a drizzle of the ginger sauce.  Fold the sides of the rice paper over the edge of the sea scallop mix (like folding a burrito) then roll the rice paper to form the spring roll.
They are best if chilled (the ginger soy sauce will thicken as it gets colder) or you could eat them right away.  I had a couple with a sweet chili sauce.  They were delicious!

They are super easy to make and pretty healthy.  I made several so I could have them for lunch or dinner throughout the week.  Thanks, vegan cookbook!