Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Kitchen Staples

I'm a fan of kitchen staples.  There are certain food items that can be left in my kitchen for when I have unexpected company or a crazy schedule that does not allow me to go to the store.  I can always make something out of my staples in the pantry and freezer.  Below is my list of must haves:

In the pantry:
  • Rice or pasta
  • Tomato paste
  • Can of tomatoes
  • Cream of mushroom soup
  • Chicken stock
  • Tuna
  • Potato flakes
In the fridge:
  • Eggs
  • Onion
  • Milk
  • Carrots
  • Random veggies
  • Cheese (parmesan is a favorite since it can be added to soup)
In the freezer:
  • Shrimp
  • Edamame
In the spice rack:
  • Garlic powder
  • Dill
  • Italian seasonings
  • Parsley
  • Salt & Pepper
These simple ingredients can make soups, pasta dishes, home cookin', and fancy dishes that look like you have slaved all day.  I don't use these ingredients on a daily basis but there are a lot of options when I have to make dinner in a flash. 

No comments: