Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Meaning Behind 'Karma'

I was having a "moment" the other day at work.  The comment I made was, "I'm not cut out for a 8 to 5 job!  I should have been a trust fund baby!"  Then, I realized that my parents were at fault for my 8 to 5 job because they were the reason why I was not born into a trust fund.

You see my logic.

While at the office, I promptly called my mom and said, "You and dad were very unfair in not allowing me to be a trust fund baby!"  My mom, having known me all my life, laughed and hung up on me.  I doubt she took my complaint seriously.  I'm not really sure who else to complain to because I think my folks are the final decision makers on the trust fund issue.

Later that evening I am eating Chinese food with the same mother who laughed at my earlier comment.  The entire meal was pleasant: good food, good company, and funny conversation.  Then came time for the fortune cookie ceremonies that end the meal.
The ceremony includes opening a fortune cookie, reading the fortune aloud, adding "in bed" at the end of the fortune reading, and then giggling like crazy.

I cracked open my fortune cookie and almost started crying.  I had no fortune.

The Chinese don't even want me to be a trust fund baby!

On the other hand, mom, after seeing my non-fortune fortune cookie, laughed hysterically.

No comments: