Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Quick Dish: Squash Frittata

I don't know about you but I love saying the word "frittata".  I put a hard E in the place of the I and spit out the Ts.  "FREE-TATA"!  Almost makes it sound inappropriate.  Which is probably why I like saying it.

I made a squash frittata for a dinner party a few weeks back.  I bought the squash at the farmers market that morning and had the rest of the ingredients in the fridge.  A very simple dish that looks and tastes great.

Spray your baking dish with a non-stick cooking spray.  Slice up the squash (I used the green and yellow varieties) and layer the squash.  Make sure you salt every two layers.  I did it by color hoping the various layers would show when cut but it didn't work out that way.  Oh well.  Still tasted delicious.
 
Mix together eggs (five), cheese (cheddar, asiago, and white cheddar), and spices (garlic, parsley, pepper).  Pour the egg mixture over the squash.  You can also mix the squash with the egg mixture and then layer the squash.  But that gets messy and I didn't want to deal with a mess right before a dinner party.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until the eggs are set.  Let it cool a bit before cutting.