Friday, September 9, 2011

Quick Dish: Okra & Tomatoes

I may live in a big city but I grew up country.  As a kid I thought having scabs on your knees was the way it was supposed to be, getting a spanking for acting up was a parent’s duty to make sure you never turned out to be a felon, and building forts in the living room on a rainy afternoon kept Momma sane and the my brothers and I busy.

I also come from a family who lived on very little.  My family had a garden in our yard that grew tomatoes, cucumbers, cantaloupe, and whatever else would grow in the Texas heat and red clay.  One year my dad showed us which row was for the Hamburger Helper … we used to eat a lot of that stuff so we might as well grow it.  (We also ate ‘Zebra’ meat but that story is for another day.)

Visiting the farmers market this past weekend allowed me to live a little of my childhood.  I am a bit obsessed with okra.  Pickled?  Yes.  Steamed?  Yes.  Cooked with tomatoes?  Double YES!  Therefore, last night I cooked all of the fresh okra I bought on Saturday with a can of diced tomatoes, some fresh tomatoes, a splash of chicken stock, and sea salt. 


I used Kumato tomatoes since they were what I had on hand.
In case you are wondering, I’m pretty sure this dish is on the buffet line in heaven.  You literally throw everything in one pot on medium heat and cover it.  Sweet Baby Jesus!  It tastes like my grandma walked in with a fresh batch of okra from her garden and cooked it.  No special spices or herbs … just plain garden goodness. 
If you grew up country or are in need of an escape from the concrete jungle please make this dish.  Not only is it healthy but it is also simple.  A simple dish to mimic the simple life.

No comments: