Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Quick Dish: Chicken Noodle Soup

This past weekend I was not feeling well.  The cure for my illness included laying on my couch in my PJs while watching reruns of The Simpsons.  Don't judge me.  You handle your illness how you see fit and I'll handle mine as I see fit.

Part of the recovery process also included some homemade chicken noodle soup.  Nothing feels quite as comforting as a hug from momma like a bowl of delicious soup.

I started the soup by using an entire carton of unsalted chicken stock over medium heat.  I added a diced onion, three carrots, four celery stalks, a handful of celery leaves, three cloves of garlic, a handful of fresh basil, two handfuls of fresh parsley, two handfuls of slice mushrooms, and a tablespoon of sea salt.  I covered the pot and let the vegetables cook through.  I also had some leftover rotisserie chicken that I cut up into chunks and added it to the soup.  I added a cup of uncooked elbow noodles (I ventured into the gluten free product section) and turned down the heat to low, recovered the pot, and let the soup simmer during the amount of time it took me to organize my jewelry box and do laundry ... roughly 20 minutes.
Delicious gluten free pasta!
The end result is an amazing concoction of immune boosting taste.  The FDA has not proven my "immune boosting" statement but it felt like it because I feel 100 times better today.

No comments: