Thursday, September 8, 2011

Climbing One Rung at a Time

I attended a luncheon yesterday provided by the Richardson Chamber of Commerce where Anne Motsenbocker of JPMorgan Chase spoke about climbing the corporate ladder.  To be honest, I didn’t know what to expect from the luncheon but the atmosphere offered great networking.  I couldn’t pass it up.

Anne is the President and Regional CEO of Chase Commercial Banking.  She is a great public speaker (even if she is a banker) and connects well with the audience.  She told us stories about getting constructive criticism from a former boss that was quite blunt.  However, that criticism was probably the best advice she ever got in her career.  Anne also told the audience about giving feedback to an employee that was difficult to give but it has allowed her to be a better manager.  She also took a tongue lashing from a client for losing meeting notes.  She said it was well deserved but it also taught her to be more organized and to graciously say “I screwed up”.

I was actually amazed that Anne opened up and shared with the attendees career details that were not always pretty.  It made me feel a bit more human and gave me a little boost to continue to keep climbing the corporate ladder while pulling other people up with you.  She pointed out that many times individuals think they have to step on other people to get ahead but a career is more satisfying if you can look around and enjoy the view with those individuals who you have encouraged to keep moving forward and the other individuals who have been mentors along the way.
The networking was great but I truly enjoyed the main attraction.  I’ve had highs and lows in my career but listening to a successful woman tell about her highs and lows makes me want to keep pushing up the ladder.  However, if the winning lottery ticket comes across my ladder I’m taking a VERY LONG vacation.

No comments: