Saturday, August 6, 2011

Professionally Nasty Messages

I work in a service industry.  I know that if we don't provide clients with top notch communication, customer service, and keep our promises that the client can go down the block and find another firm who is willing to bend over backwards for projects.  I preach that sentiment on a daily basis.

So it boggles the mind that other companies don't hold true to the facts of business: if you don't treat customers well, then you don't keep customers.

For example, the bank I have been with for over 17 years thinks it is ok to change things in mid-stream without telling me.  I do not respond well to that type of customer service.  This is the same bank that has my mortgage account.  The same bank that dragged their feet in getting my loan completed and caused me to close a day late on my house.

To say I'm perturbed is an understatement.  Therefore, I resort to professionally nasty messages.  You will be amazed at what you can get when you utilize a company's contact information.  Here are a few of my "don't mess with me" moments.
  • A driver in a food delivery truck flipped me off on the highway.  When I got home I sent the company's President an email telling him what happened, at what time, and where.  I also made him aware that if I were to ever have the need to use their service or influence other's who needed a food delivery company that I would, in fact, adamantly discourage the thought because the company only hires unprofessional people who have little respect for themselves, the company they work for, and potential customers.  (The regional manager called me the next day, apologized, and took care of the problem.  Kudos for customer response!)
  • When my bank failed to finalize my mortgage loan on the original closing date I emailed my loan officer to let her know that their lack of urgency shows where they prioritize their customers.  To summarize the rest of my email: the bank had 24 hours to correct their wrongs or I'd take my mortgage loan and my other accounts to a competitor bank.  Within 12 hours, I closed on my house.
Professionally nasty messages do not include anything in it that I wouldn't feel embarrassed to have my Preacher read in front of the church on a Sunday morning.  It includes doing research on the company (pointing out that their actions do not meet their mission statement), reminding them that customer service is what keeps and wins over clients, and pointing out that they are not a monopoly.  It also helps if you can send your message directly to the CEO/President/Manager (FYI, public companies' annual reports have their contact information in it). 

I also send messages to companies when I get great service.  I hope that if there are bonuses, awards, or promotions that my simple message may give someone the edge over their competition.  Additionally, if their company were to go through layoffs I would hope that my message would help them keep their job because they are the reason why I would keep going back for their business and recommending friends to them as well. 

What would happen if we all let companies know what we thought?  Through the good and the bad.  What would happen if large corporations started taking notice of how their cashiers put a smile on customers' faces or how the delivery truck driver is talented enough to flip me off while talking on the cell phone driving 70 miles per hour?

No comments: