Thursday, August 18, 2011

No Weapons at La Madeleine

I had a business breakfast meeting at La Madeleine yesterday.  I drank my juice before going and had water throughout the meeting.  The smells of the restaurant were great but it didn’t make me want to jump over the counter and pistol whip the cook into making me something full of carbs, eggs, and bacon.  I was quite excited that I survived with my dignity and juicing diet intact.

In case you are wondering what I do during lunch, I eat my lovely salad at my desk and pretend that it is not 100 million degrees outside.  And I watch a British show, Monday Monday.  I have found myself talking properly and quirky like British folks tend to do.  I don’t usually eat at my desk but it allows me to watch a fantastic show, write my blog posts, save gas, and not rush to eat my lunch.  It is kind of nice.  I also have purposefully not scheduled any lunch meetings this week if I can help it. 

I made dinner for the boyfriend last night.  He is craving carbs in a way that I crave Gerard Butler.  Ok, maybe his cravings aren’t that bad.  However, the boyfriend is not a cook so I treated him to a dish that falls in line with our 7-day diet program and will hopefully help him forget about carbs for a few more days.

The no-pasta "pasta" dish included:
  • 2 zucchini, julienned
  • half an onion, julienned
  • 2 carrots, thinly shaved
  • 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
  • 1 cup of brocolli florets
  • 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
  • 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
  • spices/herbs (parsley, shallots, garlic, sea salt)
  • juice from half a lemon
I cooked the zucchini, onion, carrots and sea salt in the extra virgin olive oil.  After a few minutes I added the brocolli and covered the pan so the brocolli steamed.  Five minutes later, I removed the pan from the heat and added the tomatoes.  I combined the extra virgin olive oil, spices/herbs, and lemon juice in a mixing bowl before I started cooking the vegetables so the flavors could combine.  I poured the mixture over the "pasta" right before serving.  (This same olive oil mixture is the same as my salad dressing.)  This dish is heaven on Earth!  The boyfriend was quite excited to be eating something with flavor and filling.
I also made a dessert by heating lime juice, honey, strawberries, blueberries, and minced ginger.  I heated it through until the liquid formed a syrup.  I served it in coffee mugs and sprinkled it with slivers of green apple for some crunch.  All I can say is "Martha Stewart, eat my shorts!"  Folks, I might actually be a super hero.  My super power is creating meals that are so unbelievable good that bad people will turn from their evil ways and only do good from now on.  Ok, maybe not.  But I'm close.
Two days left.

3 comments:

Gator said...

Listen here Miss Superhero... Simply because you know what a julienned carrot is and I so don't have a clue... (YOU are so posh!) And your food pictures have me RIGHT now trying to push small babies out of my way so that I can get to my nearest Central MKT check out lane... I wish to hire you as my personal chef and fellow NYT bestselling co-author... Now then, if only I had money to pay you... Can you and the dishy boy please immediately move to the great ATX? If so, we're totally in business.

Julie said...

Done.

Gator said...

"Pistol whip the cook!!!" Ahahahahhaaa! You might be an honorary Gator if the thought has ever entered your mind.