Monday, August 1, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I followed this recipe on how to make homemade laundry detergent.  My pictures turned out exactly the same as the one in the recipe so no need to double them up.  The batch makes 2 gallons so the boyfriend and I split up the concoction.  It is so incredibly simple to make.  If you have all of the ingredients it takes less time to make detergent than actually going to the store to buy some. 

The boyfriend has a top load washer and I have a front load washer.  This detergent is good for both.  When washing, the detergent will not make suds.  But who cares.  Suds do not mean clean.  Soft drinks have suds.  Get my point?

I do recommend getting a very handsome, strong man to grate the soap bar.  Soap doesn’t take much to grate but it is fun to watch buff muscles in a kitchen.  Swoon!

Also, bringing a gallon of water to a boil takes a while.  I recommend playing video games to the pass the time or watch an episode of the Twilight Zone (but make sure you stir the pot every once in a while).  The boyfriend will try to increase the heat under the pot to make the water boil faster but that may burn the sides of the pot and/or cause settlement in the pot to stick.  I would suggest keeping the boyfriend busy by asking him to show you his new video game.  Works every time.

The total cost of the ingredients (and where I bought them) is as follows:
  • Water: FREE
    • I got it from the tap.
  • Borax: $6
    • Grocery stores carry it.
  • Arm & Hammer Washing Soda: $5
    • Home Depot does not carry it but if you live in the Dallas area Elliott’s Hardware does.
  • 3 Bars of Soap (Caress brand): $2.50
    • Bought mine at General Dollar.
In case you don't know what Borax and Washing Soda looks like.  I seriously hope you know what a bar of soap looks like.
I have enough ingredients left over to make two more batches (soap as the lowest common denominator … based on the largest quantity, Borax, I would have enough to make 8 more batches).  Each batch makes enough for 60 washes.  In total, I can do 180 loads of laundry for $13.50.  Or the Borax equation is 480 washes.  If I do one load of laundry once a week, each week for a year, I won’t have to buy more ingredients for homemade laundry detergent for over three years (I’ll only need to buy the bars of soap). 

No comments: