Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Cinco de Jugo

In the words of Homer Simpson, “D’oh!”  I finally looked up the program for the juicing diet and realized I can have cooked vegetables.  You might not think this is a big deal but it is.  Like I said before, the juice actually taste pretty good.  However, day in and day out of green juice and raw veggies or fruits as snacks can get boring.  Having a cooked “meal” is heaven.

Also, if you juice kale it doesn’t produce as much as spinach does.  So you end up buying kale by the tons in order to get enough juice to make it worth your while.  However, cooking kale is easier on the wallet and I love the texture and taste of it when cooked with a bit of olive oil and a splash of lemon juice.  Devine.  I try not to cook it too much so not to dwindle all of the nutrients in it but enough to take out the natural toughness of the plant.

Last night I made Asian lettuce wraps.  Simple recipe but oh so good taste!  Ingredients include:
  • butter lettuce leaves as the wrap
  • 2 carrots, cubed
  • 1 medium sweet potato, cubed
  • 1/2 onion, sliced
  • 1 cup of broccoli florets
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • ginger sauce (Bring to boil 2 tablespoons of honey, 2 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce, half teaspoon of sea salt, 2 teaspoons of fresh minced ginger and 2 teaspoons of fresh lime juice)
I cooked the carrots, sweet potato, onion and broccoli in the olive oil until tender.  I then poured in the ginger sauce and made sure everything was coated well.  Serve the cooked vegetables with several lettuce leaves.  OH! MY! I cannot express how happy this meal made me.  It did make me dance a little when I took my first bite.  Healthy food, filling and quick since it cooked in less than 15 minutes.
Day four went well.  I still don’t have any cravings partly because I love snacking on cherry tomatoes and grapes.  Also, drinking plenty of water helps me stay full.  Part of the juicing diet is to make sure you are still drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day.  The juice does not replace water.  However, the boyfriend is having a difficult time.  An email he sent me read, "I am so hungry!  Fruits and vegetables cannot satisfy my hunger."  Poor guy.

I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to talk about my favorite things … cooking and food.  However, that is not the case.  I have not come across anything that makes me crave having mac & cheese, cereal, pad thai, trout, etc.  I’m confuddled (confused + befuddled) because I’m the last person on the face of the planet to have willpower yet I like this 7-day plan I’m on.

One of my friends said he did a diet plan similar to my juicing diet for a month.  I asked him how he felt at the end of it and he said the biggest difference was that he could go to bed at night and sleep soundly.  When he woke up he was actually refreshed.  I’m starting to notice that I do sleep better at night, too.  I also have battled two serious staph infections within the past year so I’m hoping this cleansing will clear my body of all the medicine I had to take because I am not able to take regular antibiotics anymore.  I end up taking four strong antibiotics at the same time just to get rid of a sinus infection. 

Do I think this juicing diet is a miracle worker?  No.  Do I think our country is pill happy?  Yes.  So, one of my goals is to become a healthier individual who doesn’t need multiple pills.  After battling horrible staph infections I would say that is a small miracle in my own life.

Three days left.

2 comments:

Gator said...

Ew, girl. Am I the Happy Little Hippie for you! Did you know that I specialize in nutrition, natural herbs and magical gypsy potions!? Let's 'talk' soon. I have a super duper care package I shall send your way.

Secondly, for my own entertainment I insert "finger" everytime I read ginger. Way cooler. I'm giggling. XO

Julie said...

The boyfriend almost did insert a finger into his juicer the other day. He cut it while chopping vegetables. Gross!