Saturday, July 16, 2011

Quick Dish: Holiday Meal in One Bowl

Oh. My. Heaven.  I made this dish once before and it was great.  However, I had to make it again to share with my blog reading audience.  Plus, I love cooking in a slow cooker because that means I have dinner for the rest of the week. 

This dish tastes like a Thanksgiving or Christmas meal but only takes about 30 minutes of prep time to get it going.  WARNING: If you cook this slow cooker recipe either stay inside while it is cooking or leave until it is done.  If you leave during the middle of cooking and then comeback before it is finished the smell of the dish makes your stomach growl and mouth water but you won't be able to eat it right away.

First, cut a whole onion (cut it in half and then cut it in strips) and place that in the bottom of your slow cooker along with a healthy amount of minced garlic.  I used 4 cloves.
Next, add fresh green beans and carrots.  I used a bag of fresh green beans and 5 carrots that I peeled and cut diagonally.  Then add fresh sliced mushrooms, fresh basil and salt (about 1 tablespoon of salt).
Add two to three chicken breast on top of the veggies.  Make sure you salt the chicken.
Mix a box of stuffing mix (I used low sodium chicken stuffing), one can of cream of mushroom soup, 1/4 cup of olive oil and 1/4 cup of chicken stock.  Spread the mixture on top of the chicken making sure the stuffing mixture completely covers the chicken.
Place the lid on your slow cooker and set it on low.  Cook for 4 hours.  After 4 hours the chicken will be done.  I tend to cook mine longer because I like the veggies to be a bit softer.  The chicken turns out super moist and you can cut it with a spoon.
The end result is a healthy meal that reminds you of holiday gatherings.  No need to make side dishes to go with this meal since the vegetables and stuffing are already cooked in.  Yum!

5 comments:

Gator said...

My mouth's been watering since you posted this little Beaut! We are camping in the wilds of Waller, TX at Yogi Jellystone Clampett's Galore Campsite. I am sending you this note from the comforts of our gloriously air conditioned teeny tiny RV potty closet. JS, my fian-hub calls this my 'Poopsting Ritual.' It usually causes much consternation if his percolation corresponds with my hibernation on said potty. But... Enough of that. And you're welcome. Back to my point. Now that you know where all my inspiration comes from... I plan on cooking this little number in my crockpot today and I simply can't WAIT! I have JS chopping the veggies as I type and drink my coffee.

Now listen... If we don't make it back to civilization... The toothless fellow camping next to us with the 6.5 ruffians marauding as 'children' looks suspicious. He's got a maroon Dosge Ram and he's toting a big brown pop-up. Over.

Julie said...

I will have related ruffians in said neck o' woods this weekend. My brother and his family are heading your way. Take cover! They will be the ones with the 5 year old man-boy who likes to throw rocks and the adorable diva in a princess dress. My brother and sister-in-law will be the adults in need of a nap.

Enjoy the recipe and let me know how it turns out. I like your "Poopsting Ritual". Especially if you have the fian-hub doing all the dirty work of cooking.

Breaker-breaker. Rubber ducky is poppin' the lid. Craddle the baby. Over.

Gator said...

Come back breaker 1, 9. The baby is cradled and the bird is in the slow cooker. It smells like heaven. We're off to the big slide. Mama needs a new spine, so what the hell.

D'ju say your familia is headed to Yogi-mania? I thought they had too many teefs and were way too classy for the likes of here ;) I'll keep my eyes peeled. Will they be likewise pimpin' an RV or are they cabin-it? Tell 'em we'll match their Man-Boy and Pretty, Pretty Princess with a 4 foot tall 4 year old and an angellic 8 year old. We'll be the ones riding the bad ass red Schwinn Cruiser with the Chihuahua in tow, lobbing water balloons at babies. Over.

Julie said...

10-4, good buddy. They will have the ankle biters in tow. They will be RVing it this weekend. I'd suggest you let them Shake the Bushes.

I found a website that has trucker lingo, http://www.thetruckersreport.com/trucker-slang-and-cb-radio-lingo/. My new mission in life is to learn their language and use it in my daily life. I have fun at the Pickle Park. Over.

Gator said...

I sure hope they put the hammer down and get in before we get a storm at this here Pickle Park cum Chicken Coop. We are surrounded by Lot Lizards, Bull Dogs, Pole Cats and the occasional holey grille. It's a dentist's dream up in here-ah. Best. People watching. Ever. Over.