Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Quick Dish: Black Bean Hummus

I was in charge of bringing snacks to a meeting and one of the attendees is vegan.  She is very cool and she inspires me to try things out of my comfort zone.  I have made this hummus recipe before and I made it again in her honor.  Bonus points because I love it, too.

Ingredients include:
  • 1 can of black beans, drained (reserve two tablespoons of liquid)
  • 1 can of garbanzo beans, drained
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • juice of half a lemon
  • 1 tablespoon of tahini
  • 1 teaspoon of cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 of olive oil
These measurements are guesses because as we all know I am a rebel and follow no one's rules except my own!  Actually, you can adjust the amounts based on how you want your hummus to taste. 

Put the first 7 ingredients into a food processor (or blender if you don't have a food processor) and let 'er rip.  Once the items start to become combined (you may need to periodically scrape down the sides) slowly drizzle the olive oil into the running food processor until you get the texture you want.  Put the hummus into a storage container and let it set in the fridge for at least one hour.  This will allow the flavors to mingle and combine into something that is a happy mix of Middle East meets Mexico.  Serve with pita bread, pita chips, tortilla chips, and/or fresh vegetables.

I think the dip should be on the menu at the United Nations.  But what do I know ... I'm just a peaceful person who thinks food brings people closer together.

2 comments:

Cathy_H said...

I can personally attest that this was DELICIOUS!

Julie said...

Thanks, Cathy! I might have to go home and grab some for lunch.