Friday, July 29, 2011

Confessions of a Second Grader

I am a liar.  I feel like I need to come clean so I can clear my conscience.

I was in the second grade.  My teacher was going around the room and asking everyone what they wanted to be when they grew up.  Some of the answers included doctor, teacher, fireman, policeman, etc.  I was sweating bullets.  I was afraid of telling the truth.  All of my classmates were setting the goals high and they were proud of their answers.  The teacher even congratulated them for aspiring to have noble careers.

CRAP!

She continued to go around the room asking everyone what they hoped to be and I kept thinking “Why can’t I have the flu right now?!”  I was mortified to tell my beloved teacher what I wanted to be because it was not noble.  It was not going to benefit society as a whole.  It was not what a second grader should aspire to be.

So I lied.

Teacher: Julie, what do you want to be when you grow up?
Me: I want to be a nurse.
Teacher: That is a great profession!  You’ll be able to help several people who are sick.
I wanted to crawl under a desk.  Being a nurse is a great career and I wish I had wanted to be a nurse.  However, my true passion was far from the medical field.  Here is how that day in second grade should have gone if I had been honest with myself and the teacher.

Teacher: Julie, what do you want to be when you grow up?
Me: I want to be a punk rocker like Jerrica Benton!  Business woman by day and lead singer of Jem & The Holograms at night.  ROCK ON!
Teacher: Not appropriate or reasonable!  Go to the Principal’s office.
I feel better by releasing this weight off my shoulders.

1 comment:

Gator said...

The butterfly effect! You answer 'nurse' and immediately you were shipped off with all the other do-gooders to HO. Do you feel in any way like you were cheated out of the ghetto high school experience? My answer when asked was 'veterinarian' but truly I wanted to be She-Ra, friend and confidant of He-Man. Someone to keep that fellow humble with my amazing yet feminine ass kicking abilities. I was way better looking of course, smarter and meaner than He-Man... Now a'days I would like to change my career to 'Independant consultant and Collector of Expensive Hobbies.' She-Ra falls to number two and Jem is a very close 3rd. But the office is calling... I'm off to use my care Bear Stare bitches, wearing one purple converse high top and one pink. Boo yah.