Monday, June 13, 2011

Quick Dish: Steamed Radishes

I'm a big fan of turnips.  Why?  Because I was raised right.  My grandmother made the best cooked turnips and greens.  And no one ever said "No Thanks" to grandma's turnips.  Plus, she always "seasoned" food with bacon grease.  She was a true Texas woman.

However, sometimes I can't get fresh turnips at the store.  So I improvise ... with radishes.  This recipe requires 2 bunches of radishes, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and 1.5 teaspoons of sea salt (or whatever amount you prefer).
I made a foil pouch for the cleaned and trimmed radishes.  I drizzled the olive oil and sprinkled the sea salt on top of it.  Since it is Sunday and I can't be bothered with turning on the stove I put the pouch on the grill.  Let the pouch steam until the radishes are soft.  So delicious! 
Even though there was no bacon grease I believe my grandma would be proud.  Steamed radishes taste just like cooked turnips.  They bring back memories of playing hide-in-go-seek in the dark in grandma's yard.  What?  You don't know what that is?!  See tomorrow's post.

2 comments:

Gator said...

Awesome Jules!! Do you have anything good for beets (my phone really wanted to write 'beers!') or Brussels sprouts? Kayla Burns Floyd's fabulous hubs is supposed to be a Br. Sp. pro, so I'm awaiting lessons! Apparently they get bitter when you over cook them... AND my beets always taste like cold mud... DELICIOUS!! XO

Julie said...

I have roasted beets (veggie oil and salt in a 375 degree oven) and juiced them. Both ways are great! If you juice beets I suggest adding fresh lemon juice to the mix to cut the earthy flavor. Plus, the juice mixture would make an amazing margarita!

As for brussel sprouts ... I have never cooked fresh ones. So I suggest adding bacon grease.