Thursday, June 16, 2011

Quick Dish: Cooked Kale

First, I love to cook.  Second, I don't want to make a huge dinner production on a work night.  Third, I go to the grocery store once a week.  There is a grocery store a half mile from my house but I can't be bothered with buying MORE groceries; especially if I have food in the fridge that is screaming to be eaten.  (Note: My food does not actually scream.  If yours does please call your closest animal control center and seek immediate psychological help.)

I had some fresh kale (nutritionist call it a super food because I think it wears a cape when I'm not looking) and decided to add it the dinner menu for last night's date night with the boyfriend.  (I usually cook for the two of us but the sweetie makes a mean turkey and mustard sandwich.) 

I used two bunches of kale and took out the center vain.  Squeeze the leaves into a large sauté pan, pour a half cup of chicken stock (or veggie stock or water or white wine to go the vegan route), and sprinkle with sea salt. 
Cover the dish and cook over medium heat until the leaves are tender yet still crunchy (about 15 minutes).
After the leaves have reduced to about half of the volume of the original amount (leafy greens wilt under heat in case you haven't ventured outside Arby's in a while) add two tablespoons of pickle juice to the pan.  If I had a lemon I would have used the juice of the lemon but, seriously, I couldn't be bothered to make the trip to the grocery store.  Remove the pan from the heat and serve.
The side dish is fan-tas-tic!  The pickle juice adds a hint of tang to the strong leafy greens to enhance the flavor and makes you appreciate home cookin'.  I served it with honey glazed carrots, mashed potatoes with grilled bell pepper, and grilled chicken.  In case you scrunched up your nose at the idea of this dish I would like to point out that it did get the seal of approval from the boyfriend.

No comments: