Sunday, June 26, 2011

Ladies Who Lunch

I had lunch with my neighborhood association ladies on Friday.  It was my first time to attend one of these monthly lunches.  I wasn’t sure what to expect but I did have some ideas.

1.       I knew I would be the youngest.
2.       I knew I would be the newest member.

I was right on both accounts.  I received a lot of “Oh my goodness!  You’re a baby!”  I’m actually 30 but thanks for noticing that my moisturizer does its job. 

I was also the only person at the table who was a “workin’ woman” as the ladies put it.  I enjoyed listening to their stories of how they filled their days … doctor visits, tending to family pets, tending to family, gardening, visiting museums, etc.  These ladies get more done between the hours of 5am and 8am than Congress has ever thought about accomplishing.

My neighborhood ladies are also hilarious.  The biggest round of applause at the lunch was when Sue could remember her psychics name (all of the attendees said they had a difficult time remembering names these days), Pat showed off her new Nook reader (she says it is so much better than the Kindle), and Barb was shocked that my neighbor was getting his house renovated and had not died.  One of the attendees said she told people she was 76 for several years until she read an article in the paper about someone born the same year as she was but had a different age next to their name.  She did the math and about fell out of her chair!  She was, in fact, 79.
I am fortunate enough to live in a well established neighborhood.  Some of the original home owners are still here and everyone looks out for each other.  We discussed local politics, local bond programs, city ordinances, and upcoming vacations.  It was a wonderful time getting to know the women who have helped make my neighborhood desirable.  I hope that I’ll be as fortunate as them to call my neighborhood home for 30 or more years.

No comments: